Sunday, May 2, 2010

Butternut Browine Pie

Preparing for Thanksgivning one year, I asked my boyfriend what kind of pie he would like to have for the feast. Thinking he would surely say Pecan Pie (which is MY favorite) he proclaims "Butternut Brownie Pie from Luby's! Its my favorite!" Well, I had never had this pie nor had I even seen what it looked like. I searched the internet for the recipe to this elusive pie. I found one and when I read the ingredients, I thought "This can't be right. This sounds nothing like what I think Butternut Brownie Pie should be." In my skepticisim, I went ahead and followed the recipe and it was a huge hit not only with him but with my entire family. I have now been told that I have to make this pie for every family gathering. I hope your family will find it just as delicious as mine did!

INGREDIENTS FOR PIE:
Butter for rubbing pie plate (about 1 tablespoon)
5 large egg whites
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
14 low-fat graham cracker squares, crumbled into pieces
1 cup chopped, toasted pecans

INGREDIENTS FOR TOPPING:
1 cup whipping cream
3-4 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rub a 9 inch glass pie plate generously with butter.

In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and baking powder until soft peaks form. Add cream of tartar, beating constantly. Add 1 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla. Using a rubber scraper, fold in graham crackers and chopped pecans. Pour mixture into pie plate and bake for 45minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Prepare topping. In a chilled bowl, using chilled beaters, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat. Top pie with whipped cream when ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment